Contributed by the Canadian Produce Marketing Association
When we started developing the Half Your Plate healthy eating campaign, the first things we heard from Canadians were “servings are confusing and complicated,” and “I don’t have time to count servings.” Well we agreed! All the messages out there can be overwhelming, so our message is simple – just fill half your plate with vegetables and fruit at every meal and snack to get on your way to better health. What does half your plate look like? Well, you don’t have to be literal!
Here are some examples:
- Yogurt topped with mixed berries and oatmeal
- Peanut butter and banana on a slice of whole wheat toast
- Zap some scrambled eggs in the microwave mixed with last night’s leftover veggies
- Smoothie of choice, blend up leftover berries and greens with some yogurt for a healthy start
- Use leftover veggies and protein to top off a salad
- Stuff a pita with apple slices, cheese, and lettuce
- Heat up veggies from last night’s dinner, add cheese, and pile onto a roll
- Buying lunch? Opt for a side salad instead of fries
- Invest in a slow cooker, it’s a great way to make all kinds of delicious meals that’ll be ready when you get home!
- Double up! Halve the amount of bread, pasta, etc. and double the veggies on your plate
- Add extra veggies to stir fries, pasta sauces, chili, casseroles, and more!
- Grab fruit for dessert instead of cakes or cookies
- Apples and cheese
- Bananas or celery with peanut butter
- Hummus and mixed veggies
- Almonds and berries
Whatever reason was holding you back before, we’re here to help you find easy, budget-friendly ways to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies at every meal and snack.
- Too busy? We have meals you can cook in one pot!
- Think produce is too expensive? We have tips and budget solutions!
- Have no clue what to make for dinner? We have tons of delicious recipes!
About CPMA: Based in Ottawa, Ontario, the Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA) is a not-for-profit organization representing companies that are active in the marketing of fresh fruits and vegetables in Canada from the farm gate to the dinner plate. CPMA is proud to represent over 800 international and Canadian members who are responsible for 90% of the fresh fruit and vegetable sales in Canada. CPMA is funded by the industry through voluntary membership and various services, activities and sponsorship programs. For more information about CPMA, please visit www.cpma.ca.