Ottawa, ON (June 10, 2014) — The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) lends its support to the Canadian Men’s Health Foundation in its launch of its first-ever Men’s Health Week, June 9 – June 15, ending on Father’s Day. Tuesday, June 10 focuses on Mental Health Awareness and to assist people in taking small steps to better mental health, CMHA is presenting five practical tips for men.
“Mental health is more than the absence of mental illness. It’s a state of overall mental and physical health and well-being ,” says Peter Coleridge, National CEO, CMHA. “It’s important that we work together to not only draw attention to men’s health issues but also to provide tools to help men maintain and improve their mental health and overall well-being.”
Mental health issues affect over 3.4 million Canadian men and boys each year. And four out of five suicides among young people in Canada are committed by men.
“Men can make some small changes to help maintain and improve their mental health. By making the time to talk with friends or adding small amounts of exercise into their day, men can improve their mental well-being and manage some of the major stressors in their lives,” adds Coleridge.
Try one of these five tips today for better mental health:
- Connect with other people. Find people that you can confide in. Reach out to your wife or partner, your siblings, and your children. Go out with your buddies regularly and talk with them.
- Get involved. Develop some hobbies and interests separate from your work. If you don’t have any, think about things that you used to like doing when you were younger: fishing, reading, building model airplanes are just a few suggestions.
- Exercise. Numerous studies have demonstrated that exercise can combat depression and other forms of mental illness. Exercise affects some of the same chemicals in the brain the way some medications do, so it can really help with depression and anxiety. Keep it simple; go for a walk after dinner.
- Evaluate. Making an effort to evaluate your life along the way can help prevent problems from becoming crises. Are you happy in your job and relationships? Is there anything that you can do to improve the way you live? Take five minutes to sit and think about how you are feeling.
- Consider getting help. Look at therapy as a potential tool to help you maintain your mental health. Contact your family doctor for a referral to a qualified mental health care professional.
Source: Harvard Medical School
CMHF is dedicated to speaking to men in a way that they can truly hear, absorb and act on the information. CMHA provides mental health and mental illness resources and information to all Canadians. Visit their website at cmha.ca to find a CMHA location in your community.
About the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)
Founded in 1918, the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) is a national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
Visit the CMHA website at cmha.ca today.
About the Canadian Men’s Health Foundation
Canadian Men’s Health Foundation (CMHF) is a national, non-profit organization founded by Order of Canada recipient Dr. Larry Goldenberg. The mission of CMHF is to inspire Canadian men to live healthier lives. 70 % of men’s health problems can be prevented by adopting healthy lifestyles. CMHF will create a new social awareness and motivate men and their families using health information and lifestyle programs in ways they can hear, absorb, and act on.
The first ever Canadian Men’s Health Week takes place from June 9th – 15th and will become an annual rallying point for groups, organizations and Government to step up and do their part to encourage men’s healthy lifestyles. For more information, go to DontChangeMuch.ca.
For more information contact:
Canadian Men’s Health Foundation
Download Press Release in PDF: The Canadian Mental Health Association Supports the First-Ever National Men’s Health Week