CMHF, Vice President & COO
The CMHF wishes to recruit the ideal Vice President & COO with a combination of intelligence, creativity, and leadership. As a senior leader of the Foundation, the Vice President & COO will collaborate closely with the President and senior management team to achieve our goals in key areas of responsibility.
Full-time, Permanent – Vancouver, BC
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal Vice President & COO will have demonstrated the following traits and characteristics:
- A combination of intelligence, creativity, and leadership.
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, and a low ego; a passion for helping and getting the best from people.
- Entrepreneurial drive and exceptionally creative problem-solving skills.
- Independent, ambitious, focused with a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- Consummate marketing abilities and exceptional relationship-building skills.
- Hands-on, roll-up your sleeves management style; engaging, dynamic, and supportive.
- Comfort with ambiguity and the capacity to move nimbly among multiple stakeholder groups.
- Comfortable with technology and the digital space including social media; eagerness to stay current in these areas.
- Strong collaboration abilities, and the knowledge of when and how to engage proactively.
- An understanding of how to work with the strengths and passions of each team member, and the ability to manage specialists and topic experts.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and a learning mindset.
- The ability to develop systems/processes and teams that are flexible, adaptable and results-oriented and efficient.
- An understanding of program development and delivery.
- Excited to apply their skills and connections in the service of improving the health of men and, by extension their families, the successful candidate will put the Foundation’s needs first and speak with passion and sincerity about the positive impact of the Foundation’s work.
Key Areas of Responsibility
As a senior leader of the Foundation, the Vice President & COO will collaborate closely with the President and senior management team to achieve our goals, including but not limited to the following:
Strategic Planning & Operations
- Act as a strategic advisor to the President and Board of Directors.
- In conjunction with the senior management team, create an annual operating plan detailing specific activities to be undertaken.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the Foundation by taking a leadership role in all activities.
- Lead the development and management of business plans and budgets.
- Monitor industry trends to ensure engagement tactics and tools are relevant, meaningful and efficient.
- As needed, implement structural systems that monitor program success based on metrics and outcomes.
Revenue Generation & Strategic Partnerships
- In collaboration with the President, design and execute a plan for identifying, cultivating, securing and maintaining strategic partnerships.
- Help implement strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward financial and in-kind support for CMHF, both with existing relationships and new major supporters and partners.
- Cultivate relationships with key decision-makers; develop and manage strategy for solicitations of partnerships.
- Identify and support partners, Champions, Board members and Foundation advisors in their outreach and fundraising activities.
- Set and achieve revenue goals; monitor goals on an ongoing basis.
- Identify and prioritize programs and initiatives to attract partnership support; seize opportunities to monetize potentially lucrative areas.
- Develop partnership proposals, close agreements and design tiered partnership recognition programs; prepare reports on funding progress and other reporting and structural systems.
- Lead the development of client-focused, cross-functional teams to meet the needs of our partners with greater speed, flexibility, and innovation.
- Act as a key resource to Foundation staff on a variety of partnership activities and best practices; increase internal awareness of partnership opportunities.
Leadership & Culture
- Participate as a key leader in the overall development and execution of the strategic plan.
- Align staff around a shared compelling vision; ensure all activities work toward the achievement of the Foundation’s goals.
- Help create a healthy and sustainable culture ensuring cross-functional collaboration and communication.
- Work with external partners, consultants and high-profile volunteers to engage required expertise and direction in developing and/or implementing plans.
- Build relationships and foster growth of the organization’s key stakeholders, including Directors, Champions, and volunteer medical leaders.
- Provide ongoing motivation, coaching, and effective leadership development of team members and managers.
- Evaluate employee performance and motivate to achieve peak productivity.
- Foster a supportive and excited environment of accountability and teamwork.
- Support the growth of a strong, productive, healthy team through effective and strategic recruiting, hiring decisions, effective and engaging workplace practices, and succession planning.
- Ensure positive morale and upstanding ethics of CMHF team members, projects, and behaviours.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the Foundation’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Oversee the creation of the marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the Foundation to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization; work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to CMHF leadership.
Performance and Delivery
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives and procedures conferring with President, other leaders, stakeholders, team members as appropriate.
- In partnership with all departments, ensure quality, delivery, productivity, and achievement of goals within parameters of CMHF vision and priorities.
- Oversee set up and maintenance of effective and positive process, systems, and communication across the organization.
- Analyze data and critically assess our organization, with an eye to evolution and improvement.
- Oversee development of all Foundation’s communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials, website and new media.
- Serve as needed as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgement to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Ensure relationships with external Advertising Agency and vendors are strong and beneficial.
- Broad-based leadership and operations experience, ideally from a not for profit environment.
- Experience participating in, or leading, broad-based marketing strategies and activities, ideally encompassing digital, events, PR, brand enhancement, and other aspects.
- Strong project management abilities and exceptional delegation skills.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to train, grow, nurture, and lead other senior staff.
- A critical thinker with strong business acumen.
- Proven ability to cultivate meaningful personal relationships with corporate and/or government leaders; strong influence and persuasion skills and a strong orientation to marketing and sales.
- Results-focused and ambitious; persistent in advancing initiatives.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, verbal, non-verbal and written; French is an asset.
- High level of social intelligence and self-awareness; capacity and desire to learn and grow.
- Highly adaptable to different audiences and communication styles; opportunistic to seize openings.
- Highly organized and deadline-driven; excellent problem-solving skills and ability to exercise judgment.
- Successfully handle multiple projects, priorities and deadlines under pressure; decisive and well-organized.
- Strong business and financial acumen including positive, inclusive, values-driven leadership style.
- Authentic passion and commitment to improving men’s health; previous work in a healthcare organization is an asset.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours as needed.
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this leadership search on behalf of the Canadian Men’s Health Foundation. For more information about this exciting and unique opportunity, please contact Christoph Clodius, Vice President, Search Practice by email at email@example.com or phone at +1 (778) 331-8865.